Over 700 maritime executives from 70 countries attended the prestigious 4th Maritime Standard Awards (MSA) held 23rd October 2017 at the iconic Atlantis Ballroom, on The Palm, Dubai, United Arab Emirate (UAE).
As in the past three years, it is on the patronage of His Highness, Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, making it the most prestigious maritime-oriented event in the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.
As the awards set an exceptional level of achievement and professionalism, it is also of grandeur and glamour hosted by well-known Bollywood actress and model, Lara Dutta.
His Highness Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum is also the President, Dubai Civil Aviation Authority and Chairman and Chief Executive, Emirates Airline and Group.
MSA founder and managing director Trevor Pereira says, “We were once again tremendously honoured that His Highness has supported the awards. Having the backing of such an esteemed figure shows how well recognised the TMS Awards are…”
The Awards demonstrated that the region’s ports and shipping sector is one that continues to show innovation, creativity and a determination to succeed in uncertain times. Moreover it leads the way especially in areas such as environmental protection, corporate social responsibility and security.
Clive Woodbridge, TMS editor and chairman of the judges, says, “This year we received an all-time record number of nominations, of the highest quality. All the judges were impressed by the standard of entries. It is evident that maritime companies in the region are not sitting back – they are being innovative and proactive. “
Among the 29 awards, special awards presented for impressive achievements: The Maritime Standard Lifetime Achievement Award to Sudhir Rangnekar, of Oman Shipping Company; The Hall of Fame Award to H.E. Sheikh Talal Al Khaled Al Sabah, chief executive of Kuwait Oil Tanker Company; The Personality of the Year Award to DP World’s Mohammed Al Muallem; and the Editor’s Choice Award to Richard Briggs, executive partner, Hadef & Partners.
Ms. June Manoharan, managing director of Lukoil Marine, received the Woman in Shipping award; Amir Hossein Mosadeghi, of Islamic P&I Club, named Young Person in Shipping; Omar Abu Omar of Gulf Navigation won the Excellence in Shipping Award; the winners of the Deal of the Year were Abu Dhabi Ports and JOCIC of China for their Musataha agreement.
2017 Awards full list.
- Safety and Security – Oman Ship Management Company
- Environment Protection – Kuwait Oil Company
- Green Shipping – ADNOC Logistics & Services
- Technology/Innovation – MAP Marine Technologies
- Corporate Social Responsibility – Abu Dhabi Ship Building
- Shipyard/Ship repair Facility – Drydocks World Dubai
- Maritime Education and Training – Shipping Corporation of India – Maritime Training Institute
- Marine Broker – McQuilling Shipping Services DMCC
- Marine Crewing and Manning – Liberty Manning Services Limited
- Maritime Security – Al Safina Security
- Passenger Ship, Leisure Craft and Yacht Builder – Gulf Craft
- Marine Insurer – General Insurance Corporation of India
- Ship Manager – Bahri Ship Management
- Ship Agency – GAC
- Tanker Operator – Kuwait Oil Tanker Company
- Ship Owner/Operator – Bahri
- Classification Society – DNV-GL
- Terminal Operator – DP World UAE Region
- Port of the Year – Abu Dhabi Ports
- Shipping Company – Bahri
- Deal of the Year – Abu Dhabi Ports
- TMS Young Person in Shipping – Amir Mosadeghi
- TMS Woman in Shipping – June Manoharan
- TMS Excellence in Shipping – Omar Abu Omar
- TMS Editor’s Choice – Richard Briggs
- TMS Outstanding Achievement – H.E. Dr. Abdullah Salem Alkatheeri
- TMS Personality – Mohammed Al Muallem
- TMS Lifetime Achievement – Sudhir Rangnekar
- TMS Hall of Fame – H.E. Sheikh Talal Al Khaled Al Sabah
The Maritime Standard (TMS), subsidiary of Flagship Events LLC, is an e-newsletter published twice a month, aimed at the shipping and maritime community, with 40,000 recipients in the Middle East and India, including Oslo, Hamburg, Singapore, London and Greece.
TMS also has the TMS UAE Yearbook to publicize UAE local and international achievements.
TMS organises two market-leading one-day conferences: The TMS Tanker Conference and the TMS Ship Finance and Trade Conference. Presentations will be given by leading tanker owners and operators, as well as experts in related fields. Attendees will include key decision makers and opinion formers who will be given unique insight into the challenges and opportunities.